Saturday, February 16, 2013

Another Night Defending Church Teaching from All Comers

I was at a dinner party tonight and ended up defending (once again) the teachings of the Catholic Church from half the table. The other half were joking around or just listening in amusement.

If you are an orthodox Christian today, it seems you are an apologist by default.

Themes tonight:

1) The Vatican is just a business.
2) The Church only cares about unborn babies before they're born; after they're born, they won't take care of them.
3) Catholic charities DO take care of the poor and needy but this just encourages the State to relinquish its duties. (The Church can't win.)
4) The Church is scared of questioning, and that's why it silenced Fr. Tony Flannery and Fr. Brian D'Arcy.
5) Irish women lived lives of misery before the advent of widespread contraception.
6) I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to sexual ethics in marriage because I'm not married.
7) Women who were contented with their lot before the sexual revolution were brainwashed. (I suggested women today might just as easily be brainwashed.)
8) Jesus never laid down hard-and-fast rules.
9) Priests have nothing to do all day.

I was told afterwards that I defended Chuch orthodoxy well, but perhaps that was just my companions being graceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment