Saturday, March 9, 2013

Look Back on Anger

Fine article by Fr. Dwight Longenecker anatomising anger, and the motives behind it-- which is (he says) a deep desire for unconditional love and acceptance. He recommends contemplative and meditative prayer as a solution to anger. So simple, but I never thought of it.

I think anger might be my besetting sin. Especially as a response to potential embarrassment. I live in absolute terror of embarrassment and when I think somebody is going to put me in an embarrassing situation, or when they do put me in an embarrassing situation, they become (in my eyes) Adolf Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, Joseph Stalin and Ronald McDonald all rolled into one. Hieronymous Bosch would gasp in horror at some of the retributions that pass through my head.

Meditiative and contemplative prayer it is, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment