Thursday, November 28, 2013

It Is Right to Give Thanks and Praise

My blog statistics tell me that most of my readers are in America. So I wish a happy Thanksgiving to all my American readers, and indeed, to all my other readers.

Today I am lapping up my first ever American Thanksgiving, in Richmond, Virginia-- complete with watching Macy's parade and a national dog show on TV (I think that latter is the most brilliant and unexpected tradition imaginable), and a turkey, cranberry sauce and other delicious seasonal things sending out enticing aromas from the cooker.

Later we are going to watch The Way, Way Back and I'll see if Michelle loves it as much as I did. (We already watched You've Got Mail, which I utterly adored, and Kate and Leopold and My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which I also liked, though not quite as much.)

I've been to America a few times now and the more I see of it, the deeper I fall in love it. Admittedly I've only seen a small corner of it.

(Incidentally, my ridiculously protracted flight here passed over Greenland-- the pilot alerted us to look out the window and see the snowy, mountainous terrain beneath. He also told us he had switched to a route that pilots used to fly from Europe to America during World War Two.)

Christians hope to spend all eternity saying "Thank you" to God. And the moments when we are most happy are the ones when we are most thankful. This is a good festival, in a great country. Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. It looks delicious. I hope you both enjoyed the day.

    What a nice post. I often forget to be more thankful to God, so - without being funny - thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless! It seems you have a healthier understanding of the holiday than most of my fellow Americans.

    ReplyDelete