Friday, April 4, 2014

Possibly the Most Controversial Post I'll Ever Write

Forget about the Association of Catholic Priests, female ordination or Michael Voris...I think I really might be asking for trouble with this one, and possibly risking the total and utter loss of whatever credibility I might have accumulated. Anyway, here goes...

Perhaps the difference between a contrarian and most people is simply that a contrarian is more willing to admit to opinions and beliefs and tastes that are generally scorned and derided.

Anyway, being a contrarian, but also because it was my genuine opinion, I disagreed with pretty much everybody else who went to see the 2005 movie version of the Dukes of Hazzard. It was universally slated, and even Sean William Scott, one of the stars, heaped scorn upon it.

I thought it was good. I thought it was really good. I'd never seen the Dukes of Hazzard TV show, so I had nothing to be sentimental or protective about. I thought the movie was a delightful romp that effectively evoked an idealized Deep South atmosphere. It was vivid in a way that few movies are. I bought into its fictional world.

And it had the best car-chase I've ever seen, which you can watch here. (I hope it's fair use; it's been on Youtube for four years and nobody's taken it down.) There's some raunchy dialogue, but what I really love about the scene is the way the interaction in the car, the chase itself, and the AC/DC song are combined in such an inspired way.

I am now going to live in Honduras. Bye!

2 comments:

  1. I must admit, I got a bit of a laugh out your mention of Michael Voris. Do you really think people are still thinking about Dukes of Hazard? Something must have happened that you decided to bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This clip is one I play I when I'm in a particular mood, that's what made me think of it...

    ReplyDelete