Tuesday, June 3, 2014

An Odd Request

I realize that this is highly unlikely, and a very long shot indeed. But are there any Dublin readers out there who could drive me to Ballymount tomorrow?

Last week a researcher from TV3 contacted me (he'd come across my blog) and invited me to join the audience for 'The People's Debate' with Vincent Browne. The motion of the debate is 'Is Ireland Homophobic?'. The researcher admitted they were finding it very difficult to get people to speak against the motion. I agreed, even though I am no debater. I'm nervous about it.

Anyway, today an email was sent to everyone joining in, giving directions to get to the studio. I don't drive, and I found the public transport directions very confusing. They involve a good bit of walking and I'm not at all confident I won't get lost. In fact, I expect I would get lost. I have a terrible sense of direction.

Today, after planning a walking route online, I took a bus to the Red Cow and tried to walk it from there, so I would find it ahead of time. I ended up in Ballyfermot. (I did get to look into the famous Red Cow Inn, which I'd tried to drop into before-- but ended up getting lost and wandering around industrial estates and housing estates for more than two hours. The Red Cow was an anti-climax when I finally did see it, though I liked the fish tanks.)

I could ask somebody from work to drive me but I'm not at all sure anyone will be in a position to do so. I work in UCD and I usually finish at five, though I could get off at four. I usually get into the city centre around six, or maybe a bit before.

I suppose there's a slim chance someone could be reading who might happen to be driving in that direction at that time. I feel cheeky even asking. But I'll probably end up walking and getting lost again, so I thought I'd give it a bash. I only need to get there. I'm sure I can manage to get back on my own-- or at least, back to the city centre.

2 comments:

  1. If you can't find someone to give you a lift, is there any chance someone you know has a satnav you could borrow? They can be used walking as well as driving ... just be sure it is charged up before you head out.
    Good luck tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's a good suggestion. I might try that, though I still think I could get lost.

    ReplyDelete