Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Russians are Coming!

Or, rather, they're already here. Every day for the past couple of weeks this blog has had a huge amount of traffic directed from websites with the suffix .ru. These sites look so dodgy I daren't even click on them to check them out.

However, just in case there are some REAL Russians here, perhaps surprised to find themselves here, let me just say how much I admire your culture and history. I could listen to someone speaking in Russian all day long, and I value the 'Russian idea' in history and civilization. Nobody can really say what the 'Russian idea' is, which makes it even better. I'd like to go there some day.

The only Russian I can remember meeting was Alexander Baburin, the highest ranking chess player to play for the Irish chess team. He is ethnically Russian and grew up in the Soviet Union. I interviewed him for a student magazine in a McDonald's in Blackrock once. He was very charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment