Sunday, December 25, 2016

Yes, Virginia, There is a War on Christmas

It's become fashionable amongst 'sophisticated' Christians to rubbish the alleged war on Christmas. They say that Christmas should be a time of joy, not anger and offence-taking. The idea seems to be that if you get upset at 'happy holidays' you probably listen to talk radio all day, breathe through your mouth, and Duck Dynasty is probably your favourite show.

I used to go along with this, partly because I wanted to consider myself sophisticated. More recently I've realised that I'm never going to be sophisticated, so I've given up trying.

Christianity is a FIGHTING religion! Jesus may be the Prince of Peace, but Herod was actively trying to kill him even at the moment we celebrate with a million cosy Christmas carols.

Yesterday I saw a report from RT.com, the English-language Russian news station, reporting on the war on Christmas. It was so strange to hear the reality described in an unvarnished way, without the air of embarrassed flippancy and denial we are so used to from our native broadcasters.

(And, no, I don't idolise Putin's Russia-- a country where Catholic evangelisation is illegal. But I don't demonise it, either.)

The fact that today's and yesterday's Google doodles make no reference to Christmas is pretty clear evidence to me that there is indeed a war on Christmas.

Am I being over-sensitive? Shouldn't everyone celebrate in their own way!

Baloney! The holiday only exists because of Jesus. Sure, everybody has a right to celebrate how they wish and to use whatever form of greetings they choose. But I have the right to remind them it's about Jesus, and I'm going to indulge that right to the fullest!

Happy Christmas!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment