Thursday, August 13, 2026

How to Deal with Anti-Label People

You've probably heard them: "Ooh, I don't really go in for labels. I can't be pigeon-holed as conservative or liberal, left-wing or right-wing, traditionalist or progressive, nationalist or internationalist, or anything else. My thinking is far too subtle and profound to be contained in boxes. I fly, eagle-like, beyond the nets of convention and your limited human frameworks. I am large, I contain multitudes."

I suggest such people should be called anti-labellists, or an-labs for short. That will settle their hash.

3 comments:

  1. Very good. In the same way you have people who are 'not conventionally religious.' Free spirits all : free of rules, traditions, customs, doctrines and 'conventional' morals. They are not religious but they are spirirual. They always suggest to me someone who joins a marathon for the last hundred yards and claims he completed or won it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's excellent.

      Although these days being not conventionally religious might actually mean going to church!

      Delete
  2. Exactly. Attending Church on Sunday is about the only form of social rebellion left.

    ReplyDelete