Thursday, July 30, 2026

The First Defenestration of Prague

This historical event occurred on this day back in 1419. It's described by an "On This Day" website I subscribe to thus: "First Defenestration of Prague: Anti-Catholic Hussites, followers of executed reformer Jan Hus, storm Prague Town Hall and throw the judge, mayor, and several city council members out the windows. They die in the fall or are killed by the crowd outside."


This was obviously a real tragedy and I pray God's grace on the souls of the victims. But it's also an example (perhaps the best example) of a historical (or perhaps historiographical) phenomenon that I like very much: that is, unique and often poetic names being given to historical and political events.

Here are some more examples:

The Election of the Snows: The 1917 by-election in which Count Plunkett was elected for Sinn Féin, a turning point in Irish history. As you might guess, it took place amidst snowy conditions.

The Night of the Long Knives: Most infamously the night when Hitler violently purged the SA leadership, but (more interestingly, because more figurative) the cabinet reshuffle in which British Prime Minister Harold MacMillan gave seven of his ministers the boot.

The Three-Year Summer: A term used by Harry Potter fans for the long wait between the fourth and fifth books of the series. Presumably because it represented the summer term in Hogwart's. (I'm not involved in Potter fandom. I just came across this factoid on TV Tropes.)

The Winter of Discontent: A time of heightened industrial action in the winter of 78-79, in Britain.

The Tallaght Strategy: When the leader of the Irish party Fine Gael announced (in a speech to the Tallaght Chamber of Commerce) that his party would not oppose the economic policy of the Fianna Fáil government when it was in the national interest. (Shouldn't that just go without saying?) Not quite following the pattern of this list, but close enough.

The Barebones Parliament, the Rump Parliament, the Mad Parliament, the Cavalier Parliament: Colourful names given to various parliaments in British history.

The Spring Tide: The 1992 General Election in Ireland, in which the Labour Party doubled its representation under the leadership of Dick Spring.

The Pilgrimage of Grace: A violent rebellion against the dissolution of the monasteries in Reformation England.

The War of Jenkins' Ear: An eighteenth-century war between Spain and England supposedly sparked by an English sea captain having his ear chopped off.

The Battle of Britpop: When Oasis and Blur both released their new singles on the same day in 1995, prompting intense media speculation on which of them would reach number one. Blur won the battle, although Oasis won the war. (I like to joke: "I saw some hard times. I lived through the Cola Wars and the Battle of Britpop.")

The "Happy Maidens" speech:

You get the point. Any other suggestions? I'm agog.

No comments:

Post a Comment