A few years ago, when I still lived in a house with a garden, I discovered a rock painted as a ladybird hidden under the grass. It was one of several painted rocks hidden there.
I didn't realize at the time (although I was quickly told) that this is part of a trend.
My own belief is that the path to societal re-enchantment lies in Christianity.
But I think delightful little actions like this are re-enchanting in themselves-- guerilla warfare of re-enchantment, so to speak. (Painted electricity boxes are another example.)
@Mal
ReplyDeleteI didn't know about this painted rocks business - but I did notice from your link that it was co-opted, internationalized and re-labelled as "kindness" rocks - which is a very effective way of *dis*-enchanting the idea! As is the idea of telling people where to find them, rather than coming across them unexpectedly.
I think that the idea of doing actions of this kind, secretly, in a spirit of re-enchantment, and with intriguing and beautiful (rather than "kind") imagery - would be a great thing to do!
Bruce
Oh, I think that's a bit harsh! Personally I would rather find an intriguing and beautiful stone. But inspirational messages can help someone. I remember coming out of a bit of a depression because I saw a bus ad for a fizzy drink tatt said: "Welcome to the world." It seems pretty decentralized. But I agree that a surprise is better.
Delete