Thursday, September 24, 2026

St. Pacificus of San Severino

Today is the feast day of St. Pacificus of San Severino (1653-1721), who was canonised in 1839.

Have you ever heard of him? I haven't.

He went deaf and blind at a relatively young age but still held a position of authority in a monastery and worked miracles.

I suppose his reputation suffers from the fact that there are so many Italian saints.

Anyway, I really like that there are lots of days in the year when the saint of the day is pretty obscure, and there are no special feasts.

2 comments:

  1. I knew the name but the bio didn't sound familiar.
    He's a bit overshadowed by several Marian feasts for that day. The Mercy States were so prominent in Australia in years past that I was looking at a beautifully printed page that was used as an insert for an altar missal on September 24, Mother of Mercy. Our Lady of Ransom lasted until the 1962 missal despite the feast being part and parcel or the Mercendarian order, still healthy but hardly of standout importance in the post tridentine era. And the English still remember her in the new mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Séamus. That's really interesting about the Lady of Ransom, I'd never heard of that either. I'm especially interested in hearing about feasts that are specific or special to religious orders.

      Delete