In 866, the Bulgar Khan St Boris the Baptiser wrote to Pope Nicholas asking a wide range of questions, one of which being whether or not it was sinful for Christians to wear pants. In response, Nicholas wrote, "For whether you or your women wear or do not wear pants neither impedes your salvation nor leads to any increase of your virtue." The Pope then proceeded with a discussion on the virtue of wearing the "spiritual pants" of a temperate life while restraining disordered passions.
Personally I think I would support the abolition of trousers for both sexes. Women could wear skirts and dresses and men could wear kilts, or maybe robes. I'd love to go about in a robe.
go ahead..
ReplyDeleteI'll be sure to post the video on the blog.
DeleteI don't get the symbolism there. If pants were being discussed as potentially sinful, why would "spiritual pants" be a positive thing?
ReplyDeleteI actually feel ashamed I didn't pick up on that!
Delete