Tuesday, August 11, 2026

A Personal Contradiction

I've noticed this contradiction about myself:

1) I'm becoming more and more libertarian all the time, more of a believer in the principles of the American Revolution. Ten or fifteen years ago, I would have said I was a traditionalist conservative rather than a libertarian because freedom-- while it's obviously an important value-- isn't the most important value, or the overriding value.

But in recent years my position has changed to this one: freedom isn't the most important value in itself, but it's the most important political value. Not only because authoritarian government always has the potential to become a flat-out totalitarian regime like the USSR or the Nazi Germany (and surely preventing that is the most important thing), but also because of the more insidious soft tyranny we've seen creep over all publicly-funded or government-controlled institutions over the last few decades. The arm of government only stops short of your own home and your own mind. Political correctness is omnipresent. Civil society is replaced by NGOs. "Human rights" have become an excuse to hammer society into the shape desired by our elites-- which inclines me to think that positive human rights were a mistake from the first, and we should instead favour the "negative" human rights enshrined in the U.S. Constitution.

Yes, corporations can be just as enthusiastic at spreading political correctness (or any other ideology) as government. But government always has the whip-hand. Recent events in America have shown this to be the case. (The fact that this whip-hand might sometimes be used for good doesn't make me any more keen on it.)

2) And yet...the sort of community I would like to live in is a paternalistic and closely-knit and somewhat rigid community. I like reading about boarding schools and monasteries and old-fashioned colleges with dormitories and honour codes and all that sort of thing. I love the word "canteen", both because of how it sounds and because I like the idea of a communal eating space where everybody eats the same thing, or chooses from a limited menu. (The word "canteen" is intrinsically poetic, in my view.) I want some rules that are a little bit arbitrary and nonsensical and unreasonable. I want village elders, town worthies, and city fathers...even if they have feet of clay, even if I thumb my nose at them. My own taste would not run to the maximum amount of freedom-- except in the all-important areas, such as freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

11 comments:

  1. You probably haven't changed your ideal, possibly the goal posts today are different, pendulums have swung, the middle you wanted is a different direction. Orthodoxy on reflection is often middle rather than right so much. But we're used to left wing libertarianism

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do think that's part of it. There seemed to be a sort of gentleman's agreement after World War Two (in Western countries, I mean) that Christian heritage would be respected and any departures from it would be voluntarily, not compulsory. This is now collapsing.

      Delete
  2. One way to say it is that all societies must have rules, but having rules is different than totalitarianism.

    One term that used to be used in the old days of the US (1700's and 1800's) was "self government". You don't hear that too much anymore. I think that expresses the kind of freedom you are talking about well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big problem might be erecting safeguards to stop rules from sliding into totalitarianism. It always seems paranoid until it happens. Then again, the totalitarianisms we're familiar with don't seem to have just appeared out of nowhere.

      Yes, you don't hear the term "self-government" any more. Not popular in a globalist and statist age!

      Delete
    2. Are you familiar with Vox Day's criticism of free speech from a Christian perspective? In these links, Day forwards his view that the concept was designed to undermine traditional values—and, by quoting James Burnham at length, illogical. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKqZT8-9WUQ voxday.net/2018/08/23/the-pernicious-nature-of-free-speech/

      Delete
    3. I'm aware of Vox Day and I don't think much of the little know I of him. As he doesn't seem to align with any particular Christian tradition, I don't know what tradition he can appeal to. My opinion: to doubt the value of free speech at this stage of history, from a Christian or non-Christian perspective...well, it seems like drinking twice from the same bottle of bleach.

      Delete
    4. Regarding Vox Day's beliefs, I am aware that the blogger is a Christian sceptic of the trinity. voxday.net/2012/03/31/false-doctrine-of-trinity/

      Delete
    5. The doctrine of the Trinity is one of those things where I believe because the Church has told me. It seems to me that the Arians had a spectacular proof-text in John 14:28 "The Father is greater than I". The fact that the Arians were rejected as heretics convinces me that proof-texts aren't the way of interpreting the Bible. My own belief in the Church is prior to my belief in the Bible and based on other evidences. I'm aware that all sounds very pompous and nasal, put like that; I was just trying to be concise!

      Delete
    6. Thanks for replying. Vox Day states he is a 'non-denominational Christian' here: https://voxday.net/2020/01/23/a-challenge-to-catholics/

      Delete
    7. I forgot to include this from Mr Day: ''I have no religious regard whatsoever for the various extra-Biblical traditions of the various Christian churches, although I do respect them in the same manner I respect many of the non-religious traditions of Man. But I consider Churchian dogma such as the Trinity, the Rapture, infant baptism, transubstantiation, purgatory, female pastors, bans on alchohol and dancing, Papal infallibility, and Bishop Ussher’s historical chronology to be no more theologically legitimate or Biblically supported than I do the sale of indulgences, Dante’s geography of Hell, or Milton’s history of Lucifer’s Fall.'' https://voxday.net/2019/05/18/catholicism-is-not-paganism/

      Delete
    8. There are lots of refutations of Bible Only (Sola Scriptura) Christianity out there. Where does he think the Bible came from? Who decided the canon?

      Delete