Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Tea in the Poolside Café

There's a café called The Poolside Café in UCD. It's beside the fifty-metre indoor swimming pool that dominates the cavernous Student Centre. I like to drink tea and coffee there, read a book, and enjoy the atmosphere of the swimming pool-- the sounds, the beautiful colour of the water, the shimmering light, etc. (The pool itself isn't pay-as-you-go and the annual fee is more than I would want to pay.)

I bought a cup of tea there at the weekend. The tea in the poolside café costs 1.50, which is cheaper than you'll get anywhere-- except, perhaps, a church fete or a school jumble-sale or something like that. All the same, they only ever fill two-thirds of an already small paper cup. I like my beverages filed to the brim. (And in a big mug, for preference.)

The lady serving me asked if I wanted her to leave room for milk. I said: "Yes". When she handed it to me, it was half-way filled. I said with a smile: "That's a LOT of room!" If she heard me, she didn't react.

The thing is...why did I say "Yes" when she asked me if I wanted to leave room for the milk? I foresaw clearly what would happen.

I suppose I said it because I can't imagine replying: "No, you already leave more than enough room for the milk, thank you very much."

Or because I can't imagine just saying: "No", and then putting milk into it in front of her.

What abominable cowardice!

4 comments:

  1. When I was visiting-working in Texas in 1992; they served their cold drinks by filling the (big) cup with ice, then adding a very small amount of the drink, just in-between the ice cubes. If I asked for less ice, it made no discernable difference.

    So I used to ask for the drink with "no ice" - then as the drink level approached the top, I would say "Stop!" and then ask them to top-up with ice.

    It was the only way to get the drink with ice, rather than ice with drink. The people serving didn't mind at all, that I could see; but seemed to find it all rather bemusing - "crazy Englishman" stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That was ingenious of you. It's good to hear they didn't mind at all. Maybe if I venture to mention to the Pool Café staff that I'd like a whole cup of tea they won't mind so much.

      Speaking of ice...I'm married to an American lady. Her thirst for iced drinks is incessant. She doesn't understand why nothing is chilled in Ireland.

      (I forebore from any ICE jokes!)

      Delete
  2. You'd probably only get away with it in America

    ReplyDelete