Friday, May 23, 2014

What's Wrong with Election Posters?


I've been doing some last-minute research on who to vote for in the local and European elections. (It doesn't require that much research, since all the pro-abortion parties are automatically out.) I was looking at the website of our local 'Direct Democracy Ireland' candidate and was rather irritated at this:

You may have noticed that I have NO posters up I think they're a waste of money and unsightly. I will ask you should I propose a motion once elected to ban them.

Whoa, hold your horses there, Generalissimo!

What on Earth is wrong with election posters? I love them. They create a sense of occasion, a sense of event. Election time is a special time and I like special times. And with election posters, it's visibly a special time.

I'm not one of these people who thinks there is something inherently dirty or contemptible about politics. Politics is one element that goes into the great richness of life. What's so contemptible about taking an interest in public affairs?

Why are election posters, that are focused (at least in theory) upon important public affairs, more objectionable than billboards for washing powder?

And, if there were no election posters, how would I have discovered that Fianna Fáil are running Jim Halpert (see photo above) from the US version of The Office as a local election candidate, under the name Frank Kennedy?

1 comment:

  1. I kind of understand what he means. After the elections (sometimes even before) you will see dirty and broken election posters lying all about the place. It's a bit unsightly. Having said that, I'm not sure how you could plan to get noticed without them.

    ReplyDelete