Monday, November 19, 2018

So Much for the Traditions Blog!

The traffic to my Traditions Traditions Traditions! blog has been very light indeed. So today I decided to junk it-- or rather, to leave it floating in cyberspace.

The lesson: every blog I've launched, except this one (and its predecessor Practicing to be Catholic) has been a bit of a flop.

I think I'm better off sticking to this blog, blogging wise. Any new ventures can be hosted here.

There are other reasons for the decision, though. I wanted to write quality articles about each tradition. Over the years I've built up a fund of Catholic knowledge, so I can draw on that whenever I write about Catholic topics. But when I started writing about garden gnomes or rubber ducks, I had to start from scratch, and come up with a blog post that wasn't just a rehash of every other online article on the subject. So it would take a lot of time.

Perhaps Catholic and Irish traditions are enough traditionalism for anybody? I have an article on the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows of Mary coming out in the Christmas issue of Annals Australasia, a magazine for which I've often written in the past. This is a solid Catholic tradition I've added to my daily routine over the last few months. The magazine is worth subscribing to anyway-- you don't have to be in Australia! I may write something about it here, too, in the not-too-distant future.

2 comments:

  1. I did read through them with interest, but it possibly didn't need to be separate from this one. Possibly the title could have been more specific-calling it POPULAR TRADITIONS or MODERN TRADITIONS or even POP CULTURE TRADITIONS if there was emphasis on things like cinema popcorn, TRADITION itself might be a bit broad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Séamus. I wanted it to be as broad as possible. In any case, it's further evidence of my tendency to get carried away with enthusiasms and not think them through properly. Maybe I should delay a week before starting any new project.

      On the other hand, I started the Irish Conservatives Forum on the spur of the moment and that's gone quite well.

      Delete