Monday, May 2, 2022

My (Brief) Exchange with Brian Holdsworth

I often watch the videos of the Canadian Catholic YouTuber Brian Holdsworth. I've been a fan for a good few years, but recently I've not been so keen on the turn his commentary has taken, which seems (as with many Catholic YouTubers) relentlessly negative towards developments in the Church.

I might be wrong, but it seems like many Catholics on the right are drifting into a sort of despairing nostalgia for Christendom. I don't doubt that they care about saving souls, but they also seem preoccupied with the notion of reviving a Catholic society, a Catholic culture and body politic.

This seems such a flight into fantasy that I find it rather depressing. We're not in the High Middle ages anymore. We are in a very different situation and it seems reasonable that the Holy Spirit is responding to that diference, that this is why the Church in our time takes a different approach than it did in the Counter-Reformation or any other time.

Anyway, I was surprised that my initial comment got 37 "likes". Brian responded to it. I responded back, and then so did he. I think I'll leave it there.

Here is the video.

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes wonder how deep is the knowledge that these guys have of European history. Politically and historically, the Papacy was always in conflict with the Kings and nations of Europe, even at "Peak Christendom". Open any book of a decent history of any European country and you will see that. These guys seem to be selling an idealised past to people desperate for certainty and security. I don't blame the need for that, but let's keep it real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, exactly! The only thing new about the Reformation was that it lasted. Well, that's an exaggeration, but I think there's an element of truth to it. This whole attitude also seems very this-worldly rather than otherworldy; Christendom more important than Christianity.

      Delete