Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Thoughts on an Open Day

On Saturday I spent three hours manning the library stand at the UCD Open Day in the O'Reilly Hall. I enjoyed it greatly. That kind of event appeals to me in a way that's hard to explain. I decided that trying to explain it might make a good blog post.




First and most obviously, the sound of an open day is my favourite sound in the entire world: the hum of voices in the air, blended into each other so that individual voices and words can hardly be heard.

What can I say about this sound? To me it has always been the sound of excitement, of life, of hustle and bustle and activity.

But it goes deeper than that. It seems evocative of so many things of the things I love; tradition, folklore, legend, proverb, collective memory, community, and so forth.

Vox populi, vox Dei. "The voice of the people is the voice of God". This proverb might not be literally true, but I like its grandeur. I like everything that has been hallowed by multitudes over generations; sayings, nursery rhymes, fairy stories, customs, and so forth.

I love the television coverage of general elections precisely because it so often features this sound, especially when it comes to reports from election centres. It's also an example of what makes this sound so exciting. It's the sound of humanity making history, making stories, working out its destiny. It's the sound of the battle of ideas, the dance of ideas.

Another reason I enjoy open days and conventions is because of their free-form, "buffet" format. I like how people can move from stand to stand, stall to stall, exhibition to exhibition according to their own preference. I savour the atmosphere of many things happening at once.

Like most conservatives, I spend a lot of time lamenting things we have lost, looking backwards. But one thing I do like about modern society is its sheer variety and diversity. Yes, modern urban and suburban life can be very alienating and lonely. Like many people, I'm nostalgic for a time of close-knit communities where everybody knew everybody and shared a common culture.

But the flip side of this is the richness of modern life, especially in the era of the internet. There is a bewildering number of interest groups, sub-cultures, activities, ideological currents, and so forth. Pluralism is a good thing in itself. How to get back to tight-knit communities without losing this benign pluralism is a challenge for the future.

I'm rather lucky in my own job, since UCD is a sort of tight-knit, self-contained community of its own, one that also reflects almost every aspect of human life. I'm vey grateful for it.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I know what you mean, not least as I work in a library myself. There is a continual murmur during opening hours, harmonised by the acoustics into a kind of accidental symphony, brimming with life. I find the clink of china from the cafe adds an extra dash of spice to this atmosphere.

    Do you know the West German film 'Wings of Desire' (originally titled 'Der Himmel über Berlin', 1987)? It contains a scene in which the main characters — angels invisible to the mortals in the film, but visible to the viewers of the film — walk through the Staatsbibliothek in Berlin, listening in to people's thoughts. Your post reminded me of it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LsUFzuTeS4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clink of china is definitely one of the highlights of this "accidental symphony"!

      I've never seen that film, I'll have a look at the clip, thank you. I often like to think of all the thought that is going on in a university library, in all the different fields of human thoughtt.

      Delete