Monday, May 29, 2023

A Painting from my Childhood



I painted this when I was nine or ten and it was up on the wall in my school for years. I remember adults making a bit of a fuss about it at the time. They thought it was very clever that I painted it from behind. I was bewildered because I didn't see anything clever about that. It's a picture of me, my mother and my two brothers. The clothes are historically accurate.

It's the only piece of creative work I saved from primary school. The next thing I have preserved after that are some English exercises from first year in secondary school. We were not a scrapbook sort of family, more's the pity. (My late father's massive archive of material, printed and manuscript, has almost completely disappeared. He never kept anything.)

2 comments:

  1. Movement, colours, defined people with their own way of going. That's really good Mal. May your mother's soul rest in peace. I see her fight against the wind. Stick that painting up on your kitchen wall. Sinéad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sinéad! I guess it does have those qualities. Thanks for the prayer for my mother, too.

      Delete