If our lives in time somehow determine or influence our lives in eternity...does it follow that this very moment, when you are reading this line-- and, indeed, every moment of our lives-- will be as consequential (and much more consequential) than any moment in human history in its relation to all of human history...more consequential than the death of Socrates, the sack of Rome, the sinking of the Titanic, Neil Armstrong walking on the moon, and so forth?
What will any of that mean in eternity, compared to the fate of a single soul?
I don't know if this is the case. But I wonder.
i don't think it follows at all. which is not to say that big moments aren't preceded sometimes by a series of small moments. but not always, and not necessarily. like practicing scales and then actually play a solo. the real magic is unexplainable.
ReplyDelete.Laeth
Well, I see your point, but the relation of time to eternity might be totally different. I don't know what that relation is; but if there's some truth to the Gladiator line that "what we do in life echoes in eternity", then surely those echoes are infinitely longer than even the most historic moment's echoes in time.
Delete