Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Googie Architecture

I've recently discovered Googie architecture-- well, I suppose I'd always known buildings of this type existed, but I didn't know it was a specific architectural style, or that it had a name.

This kind of thing:





This is what Wikipedia says about Googie:

Googie (/ˈɡuːɡi/ GOO-gee[1]) architecture is a form of modern architecture, a subdivision of futurist architecture influenced by car culture, jets, the Space Age, and the Atomic Age. Originating in Southern California during the late 1940s and continuing approximately into the mid-1960s, Googie-themed architecture was popular among motels, coffee houses and gas stations. The style later became widely known as part of the Mid-century modern style, elements of which represent the populuxe aesthetic, as in Eero Saarinen's TWA Flight Center. The term "Googie" comes from a now-defunct cafe in West Hollywood designed by John Lautner. Similar architectural styles are also referred to as Populuxe or Doo Wop.

Features of Googie include upswept roofs, curvaceous, geometric shapes, and bold use of glass, steel and neon. Googie was also characterized by Space Age designs symbolic of motion, such as boomerangs, flying saucers, atoms and parabolas, and free-form designs such as "soft" parallelograms and an artist's palette motif. These stylistic conventions represented American society's fascination with Space Age themes and marketing emphasis on futuristic designs. As with the Art Deco style of the 1930s, Googie became less valued as time passed, and many buildings in this style have been destroyed. Some examples have been preserved, though, such as the oldest McDonald's stand (located in Downey, California).

I like Googie! For these reasons:

1) I like its "spacey", otherworldly look.

2) There's something child-like about it; all the buildings look like big plastic toys.

3) I like how American it is.

4) I like that it's futuristic and archaic at once.

5) I like its elongated, gravity-defying appearance.

6) I like the centrality of text to so many of the buildings.

7) I like how redolent it is of the open road, and the vast stretching spaces of the American landscape.

8) All of the buildings seem to scream "fun"!

11 comments:

  1. I had no idea that had a name. While I could not conscientiously say that I have ever seen such a building on the open road your seventh point above captures the appeal of 'em rather nicely. There's something innocent and hopeful about the shape that implies adventure (also innocent and hopeful) is just beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite the same thing, but a lot of the huge road-side advertisments in American remind me of them.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I suppose you and I have some things in common. I am currently eying several mid-century lamps in hopes to find some bedside lighting. The style of the pics say "Americana" too me, in a semi-gimmicky way, which I like. It reminds me of bowling alleys with bowling teams whose members take it way too seriously (Big Lebowski) and the cartoon Rocko's Modern Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was something pleasingly naive and utopian about that period in American history. Which somehow managed to coincide with a religious revival.

      Delete
  3. Not sure about it.....
    But I find it semi-fascinating that there would exist a restaurant that would sell chips alone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just called Chips? It's a good name.

      Delete
    2. I thought of that too, or it could be just a relic of simpler times when it was treat just to go out for chips. Not like today's world where children need their cheeseburger, thick shake and happy meal toy. Nobody worried about cholesterol either.

      Delete
  4. Not The Flintstones but remember the other one set in the future. Did the buildings there look like them? Sinéad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jetsons! Yes, I'd forgotten it, but an image search just told me they did.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I too love Googie and for most of the reasons that you listed. I like the way that they look forward to an optimistic future. Churches and synagogues were designed in Googie style and some look like they are for lift off. Today Architecture is so serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real curiosity and seems to stand outside architectural and social and cultural history, in a way! And yes, the optimism is part of what I like.

      Delete