Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Rumpus Room

Be warned...this is one of my "private fascination" posts!

I've been watching a lot of Frasier recently. I've watched every episode several times over. In one episode, Frasier's snobbish brother Niles has to downgrade from his elegant apartment to a grotty one. Trying to put a good face on it, he cheerfully announces that there will be "a ping-pong tournament in the rumpus room".



I'd never heard that term, "rumpus room", before. It pleases me vastly, and it's been on my mind for weeks now.

It's not just the phrase that appeals to me, however. It's the idea of a rumpus room, especially in a rather grotty and cut-price apartment block. It's the idea of facilities in general-- especially facilities that you wouldn't necessarily expect to be there.

This concept has been on my mind a lot recently, but it's always fascinated me.

I'm blessed in the place where I work, in this regard. University College Dublin is a world unto its own...it has everything. It has a swimming pool, a gymnasium, a small cinema (though I've never been in it), a bike shop, a bank, a post office, a pharmacist...and many, many more, as the K-Tel ads so deliciously used to put it. I delight in these facilities even when I don't use them.

Indeed, even the more euphemistic use of the term "facilities" touches on this fascination of mine. I love bathrooms! I love that UCD is full of bathrooms (or rest rooms, as the Americans say). I have a choice of five different bathrooms in the library alone. In the summer, or at other out-of-term times, they are often unoccupied. There is something delicious about walking into a deserted bathroom, away from everybody else. Most of all, there's something delicious about having a choice of bathrooms.

The old Ballymun
Another example. I often have dreams in which the "old Ballymun" (seven-storey apartment blocks, and fourteen storey towers, all now demolished) is still standing. Except, in my dreams, it's a science-fiction version of Ballymun. The apartment blocks (or "flats", as we called them) are like cities unto themselves, with all kinds of businesses and facilities available inside them. (And everything is gleaming white.)

Another example. When I visited Bavaria on my honeymoon, we stayed (briefly!) at a five-star hotel...the only time I've ever been to a five-star hotel. My favourite part was visiting the swimming pool, saunas, and jacuzzis on the bottom floor. But the cherry on the cake was a sign beside a telephone on the wall, which announced: "If you would like a drink from the bar, please call us on this telephone and we will bring it down to you". That drove me wild (although I forebore from ordering one...I was too busy enjoying my first jacuzzi!)

Another example: visiting a hotel or bar and seeing that it has a book collection worthy of the term "library", especially if it has an interesting selection. (I'm thinking of a particular hotel I visited once, whose lounge has a collection of old and idiosyncratic hardbacks. Sadly, I had no time to browse them.)

The original Cluedo board, with its library, billiards room, lounge, conservatory, and ball room....at least Dr. Black went out in style!
So far, I've been talking about physical facilities. But my fascination isn't restricted to physical facilities in physical spaces. It includes any kind of "facility" that is unnecessary or unexpected.

The first example that comes to mind: growing up, I was always envious of the home-made "family magazines" that seemed to be common in the childhood homes of nineteenth-century writers. I was equally envious of the amateur dramatics that seemed a common feature of such homes.

I love to hear about any kind of activity, or institution, in a setting where one might not be expect to find it. For instance, clubs and magazines attached to workplaces, or to small communities, or schools, or other settings.

I love to hear about Bible study groups, writer's groups, fantasy football leagues, camera clubs, reading groups etc. which are specific to some place, institution or circle.


To move even further from the physical realm, this concept includes features in magazines and newspapers, or on broadcast media. I'm always pleased to see a poetry page (especially proper poetry) in any magazine, or a religious column, or a "Ripley's Believe it or Not" type column.

Or it can include a magazine or other publication whose very existence is surprising; for instance, the magazine of Westminster Cathedral, or Inside Time, the newspaper for prisoners and detainees in the UK.

The principle can extend to online spaces, too. As administrator of the Irish Conservatives Forum, I took great pleasure in introducing a thread called "The Salon", where members can post original creative works. (It's had one photograph and a couple of poems so far-- although one of the poems was mine!)

I have often used the phrase "curtains make a house a home" as an expression of my social and cultural philosophy. It applies here. In fact, this love of "facilities" is deeply conservative on many grounds. I've always hated centralization. (I hate centralization in time, as well as in space...I've often complained on this blog that Christmas tends to gobble up all the traditionalism in the year).

This fascination goes to the very foundations of my being, the bedrock of my soul. Will anybody share it? I don't know. This sort of blog post is always somewhat akin to a message in a bottle. I hope it speaks to someone, out there, in the great no-man's-land of the internet.

10 comments:

  1. The Ballymun flats look pretty suave in the old photo. I imagine most apartment blocks are a good idea and fairly plush looking to begin with, but the years are less kind than they are to even the most rustic cottage.
    I saw a new edition CLUEDO in a bookshop a little while ago,I think when I was buying yours, as I usually borrow from a presbytery these days;I was struck by the image on the box of Reverend Green; they pictured him as a by young handsome man in a clerical collar. Not a bad image for priests, even ones that might murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they started out well but increasingly degenerated. Your assessment is completely correct, at least, in the one case I can attest to, which is Ballymun. The pictures of early Ballymun are very different from the run-down, vandalised estate I remember from my childhood and teens.

      I always wanted to be Professor Plum, for some reason.

      Delete
  2. These flats in Ballymun makes me think of some similar areas when I grew up, and especially one (in another part of town) with strong connotations attached even to its name. The whole "atmosphere" to the place when actually being there was full of a kind of fearsome fascination - in the back of the mind were youthful and semi-exaggerated rumours of its gang/gangs; in front of the eyes were rather fast runned down big blocks of flats put up in the mid 60s, complete with certain smells and graffiti... The contrast was that it seemed like an interestingly "special" place (precisely what you use to write about on this blog!). The main reason for going there was the single task of acting postman to deliver advertisments, as a thing to get a little extra money arranged by our football team on a regular basis. I remember running up and down countless stairs since the highest buildings had as much as 10 to 12 storeys. And nowadays it is a bit like "same, but different". Many Latinos lives there today and there are usually not much trouble. Their supermarket has been robbed three or four times in just a couple of years though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you played football, interesting...

      Funnily enough, Ballymun was designed by Scandinavian architects. Yes, the vandalism was pretty bad. Sometimes the floor of the lift (elevator) would be a pool of urine. There were other examples even worse.

      I can remember, though, wandering into a street called Sheriff Street which I'd heard even worse things about, as a kid. i was terrified...I considered myself lucky to get out alive!

      Delete
    2. In hindsight these terrors still gives way for another more cosy glow. When the museum made a book about one of the other block of flats areas from the 60s one of the interviewed remembered how one of those gangs (the one from this place I wrote about if I don´t mix it up!) came into their streets - far away like 3-4 kilometers away - looking for trouble. It ended not with a fist fight but one recalled that some gang had "kidnapped" one unlucky lad and tied and hung him up in a tree with his back right over an big ant´s nest. What a terrible thing, then and there!

      Delete
  3. "I love to hear about Bible study groups, writer's groups, fantasy football leagues, camera clubs, reading groups etc. which are specific to some place, institution or circle."

    I´ve heard that some friends of an old aquaintance at some weeks interval meet up to discuss their night dreams together. At least two of them works as psychologists so that would explain the peculiar form and the interest itself perhaps. Would that qualify to what you wrote here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! I often record my dreams in my diary! But nobody wants to hear about them!!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I know exactly what you mean. This is one reason why the idea of the Cambridge, Oxford and Durham colleges, all their own self-contained, walled-in worlds, appeals to me. It also reminds me of a third-floor extension to a library at university, the bequest of a professor of German and accessible only via a very narrow flight of stairs (and this was in a building constructed in the 1960s!).

    I suppose it's something about having all you need 'on board'. There's something similarly thrilling about the idea of a sea-going vessel stocked with provisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes, both of those examples are very applicable! And indeed I thought of both as I was writing the blog post. University College Dublin doesn't really have those collegiate divisions, but I do like that there are so many different schools and units, more than one can keep track of...

      Somehow, the limit AND the sufficiency are part of the pleasure. I've always liked plane travel because I like the fact that THIS IS IT...while you are in the air, you are stuck to what is in the plane. So you can have your dinner with its own little dessert, slice of bread, etc. There's quite a lot of things you can do on the plane, but there's so many more things you CAN'T do. I suppose it's similar to the pleasure of being snowed in with enough supplies.

      Delete
    2. The university example is one of the reasons I like Tom Sharpe novels, though he can be very vulgar. And it's part of the appeal of the Harry Potter books. (I don't know that the pupils in Hogwarts, the magical university in Harry Potter, are divided into "houses", according to their character being read by a magic hat when they start.)

      Delete