Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Poem to my Father



For Poetry Tuesday (a tradition I am determined to keep going), here is the poem I read on the day of my father's funeral. (The picture shows him at my wedding.)

For My Father

You taught me to appreciate
The old and true and lasting things.
You taught me hunger for debate

And that words could be given wings.

You tutored me in chivalry,
To rally to the nobler cause
Not heeding popularity

Or comfort, or the world’s applause.

You taught me triumph counted less
(Far less) than honour in the fight,

That manliness and gentleness
Are two in one, like fire and light.

You taught me to love poetry
And books, and took me by the hand
To show me wonder’s treasury,

Imagination’s fairyland.

You taught me (though I learned it late)
The love of Ireland; to uphold
And guard and praise and celebrate
This birthright dearer far than gold.

You taught me to love everything
Original, and quaint, and odd;
To prize grace like a diamond ring,
And reverence the name of God.


If I have any cause for pride

It would be this: to have been true
To all you taught me, and have tried
To be as good a man as you.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Mal,

    In the end, this is why we have poetry. I think, from my distant perspective, that this is a fine poem and well-wrought down to the last detail — but, more importantly, a worthy tribute to your father.

    He rests from his labours: may eternal light shine on him.

    Dominic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dominic. In all honesty, I was quite pleased with it as a poem. And I think it's a pretty good summary of what I owe him. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Very nice.
    Was that taken at your wedding?

    Since the last Poetry Tuesday post I came across the word kiltartan for a second time, actually 'kiltartanese' "a contemptuous term for the stylised rural speech of the Abbey Stage"
    cf 'The Two Languages',an essay by Máire Cruise O'Brien. I indirectly inherited three books about Ireland from a deceased priest recently, which are snapshots of the thoughts and ideas of their eras, the 1950s,60s and 80s. I had thought to put my personal summary of the three on the Conservatives Forum, but will have to see. The scope is quite wide and still expanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Séamus!

      Yes, the picture is taken at my wedding. There are better pictures of him, but that one was the most convenient.

      "Kiltartanese" became quite the cliché. I find it tiresome. None of us speak in standard English and none of us speak exactly as fictional characters speak. As far as I'm concerned, any rendering of speech is legitimate (although I do find very stylised dialects a pain in the neck to read-- why I don't read Scots dialect poetry).

      Delete