Monday, January 8, 2024

Some Christmas Leftovers

Well, I'm back from my Christmas break. I hope all my readers had a good Christmas and New Year.

Here's something I posted on Facebook during the break, purely as a kick-off for 2024.

I have long been of the opinion that the "in-betweeny" moments of life are the best.

Yesterday our neighbours, literally across the hall, who we've only become friendly with recently, treated us to Christmas Eve dinner at their apartment. It was delicious. Then we went to the Blessed Sacrament Chapel in Bachelor's Walk for Midnight Mass actually at midnight. A cup of tea upstairs afterwards.

Then this morning, Christmas Day Mass in UCD chapel.

Then breakfast in our neighbours' apartment, on the very extensive leftovers from the dinner. 

Just with the husband, as the wife is working today.

Leftovers are always delicious and it was very peaceful and relaxed, sitting looking out the window and eating a late and ample breakfast, having meandering and easy conversation. Those low-key moments always seem like the nicest to me. I mean, I like formality and bustle and occasion and a sense of event. But I like the respite from it, the contrast to it, even more.

Happy Christmas!


And Happy New Year! This is the thirteenth year of this blog!

5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Something similar for me in Sweden. Spending Christmas Eve at my parents home for six or seven hours, then walking home for a short stop and further on to church for Mass (not literally at Midnight for pragmatic reasons). Since I was going alone there it was a pleasant surprise when a car stopped on the way with someone inside waving... Couldn´t see who it was but I tried showing by pointing my arm where I was heading, in the direction forward. The car drove over at the next turn and opening it was a friend with youngster. Hadn´t seen them for some while so it was nice being picked up and going together. During Mass the youngster got so tired that he almost nicked off to sleep (fell into the wooden stall before him!) but later on he was awake when we drove back. Funny detail was that in the car he asked, about the man who played the organ and who had greeted when in the pews (we sat at the end just beside the organ). His name is an English/American one, and the question the boy asked was funny enough: "is his name Badminton??" First I didn´t get it at all. As the man has a name ending with -ton is made sense after reflection still. Just sounded a bit odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's absolutely hilarious! Thanks for the insight into life in Sweden! Invitation for guest blog post always open.

      Delete
    2. We´ve had thick layers of beautiful snow for almost two months now, only interupted by 3-5 days in mid-Advent. Today around -15 degrees celsius. Lovely winter! No time to promote the climate lies right here.

      Thank you for the invitation! I would like to write something on my readings some day. Last year had no less than 124 titles read which is far above my average number (around 70 or so).

      Delete
    3. Do! And don't overthink it. After all, hardly anybody is reading...!

      Delete
    4. Sound advice I guess. Thanks again!

      Delete