Lord Alfred Tennyson asked for every copy of his Collected Works to end with the poem "Crossing the Bar", which expresses his hope for the afterlife and the circumstances of his death. And so they have, as far as I can make out.
Nepal is the only flag in the world which is non-rectangular.
You can't pump your own "gas" (as the Americans say) in New Jersey, by law.
I love anomalies like these and I have an endless appetite for them. Does anyone have any other examples? (No facetious responses, please. This is serious business.)
The flag of Ohio is also non-rectangular, but perhaps you meant only national flags.
ReplyDeleteWhat amazes me that every single country in the world today has a flag (and, as you say, the overwhelming majority are rectangular). How did something as random as that get to become a cultural universal?
I did mean only national flag, but that's interesting to know. And that's a good point about every country having a flag!
DeleteAnother interesting national flag fact is that very few have purple, because it was an expensive dye.
Look up the Romanian and Chad flags.
ReplyDeleteHa, that's funny! Apparently the shade of blue is different but it's tough to see...
DeleteI bet it would be easier with a physical flag, but at least on a screen, they look very similar.
Delete