Thursday, December 13, 2012

Why Breda O'Brien is Still a Columnist

I can see what search terms lead people to my blog, and today I saw that someone got here by typing this question into a search engine: "Why is Breda O'Brien still a columnist?".

Well, because she is a fine writer, most importantly, with lots of to say on important public issues. And also because she speaks for a lot of people out there, people who don't have much of a voice elsewhere in the media.

Thankfully, for all the many justified complaints about the Irish media, it has not quite reached the level of Pravda and the Volkischer Beobachter-- though I am sure there are plenty of people out there who would like to see certain voices silenced. As far as I can see, "liberalism" has become a long list of all the things you're not allowed to say and not allowed to do-- and all to protect freedom, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment