Friday, June 9, 2017

What Would You Call This?

It's not a trick question.


  1. I hope you're not saying that receiving one's comments are (mentally) becoming a drain!!?

    1. I saw a group of teenagers trying to get something out of one of these things and I didn't know how to describe it in my diary. A drain? I guess that makes sense. I came up with "a gutter grate".

  2. My terminology may be Australian. I'm not always conscious about the words I use. I was Perth for decades before realizing that nobody here uses the word PRESS to designate a cupboard. Someone started telling someone else (in what he thought was an Irish accent-he wasn't bad but it was a Cork accent if anything)"Séamus told me it was in the press, and I'd no idea what the press was,I was looking in the kitchen for something that squeezed fruit" Which he wasn't, although I can't remember the incident really.

  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! For the life of me I can't recall it being called anything.