Irish Papist

Irish Papist
Statute of the Blessed Virgin in Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Church, UCD Belfield

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Some Sweet Reason from Fr. Dwight Longenecker...

...on the question of whether immigration and asylum-seeking is a prolife issue, and on the question in general.

Contrast it with the increasingly hysterical rhetoric from Mark Shea, who I used to admire. It's worrying seeing so many of his fanboys agree wtih him in the comment box. I won't link to his blog.

In the last year or so, I have realised with increasing dismay that there is a very powerful left-wing contingent in the Catholic church, even amongst people with whom I had previously thought myself to be more or less on the same wavelength. Now I realise that, though we are brothers and sisters in Christ, I am very deeply in disagreement with them on most other matters. And, quite often, I even believe them to be in error on what constitutes orthodoxy and what does not.

They look to politicize the Faith, which I think is very wrong, and they seek to elevate prudential matters to matters of solid doctrine-- while, ironically, they are very often less-than-enthusiastic about defending orthodoxy itself. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing them for their left-wing views. I'm criticizing them for suggesting that not agreeing with those views makes me a bad Catholc.

Now, on this blog I present many views which are my own and for which I don't claim warrant from my religious faith. I was very enthusiastic to see the UK leave the European Union, for instance. That is my own view. I don't expect other Catholics to share it. My dislike of free-verse poetry is another example. There are any number of other examples. I always try to be clear on this distinction.

I must admit that this experience-- of realising just how insidious and pervasive this left-wing current amongst Catholics really is-- has truly shaken me. I had come to think of the Church, even taken as a human institution, as a sanctuary from the secular world. Now I find myself, instead, pondering on St. Teresa of Avila's wonderful image of the Christian: a warrior who must keep his weapons beside him even as he sleeps, so long as he remains on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment