Thursday, July 22, 2021

The More Falls, the Better

I am convinced from a pretty big experience that perfection, that is sanctity, is only to be won by repeated failures. If you rise again after a fall, sorry for the pain given to our Lord, humbled by it, since you see better your real weakness, and determined to make another start, far more is gained than if you had gone on without a stumble. Besides, to expect to keep any resolution, till repeated acts have made it solid in the soul, is like expecting to learn skating, for example, without ever falling. The more falls; the better (that is if you do not mind bumps), for every fall means that we have begun again, have made another effort and so have made progress. I mention this because I know that you like myself are given to discouragement and tempted to give up all when failure comes.


Spiritual advice from Fr. Willie Doyle SJ, a Catholic chaplain who fell in the battle of Ypres. Read about him at this website.

2 comments:

  1. (was just told page didn't exist)
    Probably a good analogy, if it's ice skating you have to assure that you don't lose a few fingers under someone else's blade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling my attention to that, I've fixed it now!

      I must admit I've never ice-skated but it looks like a lot of fun, if you can keep your fingers.

      Delete