Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Treasure in the Field

From today's Gospel:
 
The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field which someone has found; he hides it again, goes off happy, sells everything he owns and buys the field.
(Matthew 13:44).


Short as it is, this is probably my favourite of Jesus's parables. The Parable of the Prodigal Son is more poignant, but I find the parable of the treasure in a field more exciting. Its simplicity is a great part of its appeal.


 
Everybody, I think, feels a longing to give themselves utterly to something, to believe that there is something in the world worthy of our utmost devotion. This parable seems like a motif repeated again and again throughout Christian history. Saints, religious orders, and forms of spirituality re-emphasize the pre-eminence of the Gospel, in an infinite number of ways. When I think of this parable, my heart burns.

No comments:

Post a Comment