I'm not talking about patriotism based on "shared values" or any of that lark.
I've just started watching the miniseries This Office Life, taken from a Keith Waterhouse novel written in 1978. (I read it a long time ago. It was pretty good.)
The company it's about is called "British Albion Limited."
This seemed pretty common at this time. For instance, there's the Britannia Hospital in the roughly contemporary film of the same name. Both fictional, but realistic.
Why can't British companies call themselves after Albion or Britannia or the Lion and the Unicorn or any of those regal, splendid names?
When is this sort of naive patriotism going to come back?
It will come back when Britain stops bowing to the whims of the millions of foreigners whom it has ill-advisedly imported. In Amsterdam there is a campaign to name streets after Muslims. We have lived through the dreamtime of thinking these things could all happily co-exist. We are now learning the hard way.
ReplyDelete