I completely agree with this Daily Wire article. The death of the monoculture is a good thing.
I can vividly remember how monolithic pop culture was in my childhood. It was a bad thing. It was a homogenizing, standardizing, deadening force.
Folk culture was dissipating, high culture was almost a memory, but everybody talked about the same TV shows and films and music and toys.
In a small country like Ireland, this could be quite cosy, insofar as it was Irish pop culture that was uniting people. But it mostly wasn't.
Also, people were generally led into same sociopolitical talking points.
There's lots to decry about the internet, but the shattering of the pop culture straitjacket is not one of them.
It's the first time in history that young people can live in any decade they want. Some know more about the pop and tv of my childhood time than me.
ReplyDeleteDon't have a definitive view on this.
Or they could live in all of them simultaneously if they wanted!
DeleteI haven't had the experience of young people knowing more about my time's pop culture, though. In fact, I'm always amazed how little they know about it.