Sunday, February 26, 2017

Feeling Blue

I was up until five a.m. yesterday morning arguing with a whole room of people who believe religion is delusional, Catholicism is sexist, abortion is a human right, etc. etc. A floating audience of young people (teens and twenties) each started out by declaring they didn't believe in religion or God, and each eventually announced they believed in "something" spiritual.

At a bus stop today, I listened to two Romanian charismatic Christians discussing Jesus and God with three Irish people. They all agreed the Catholic Church was a swindle.

I met two friends in the Gresham Hotel today and both of them told me they believe in a higher power and that they admire Jesus, but they don't believe in Christianity for various reasons (dsagreements between the gospels was one).

I'm not feeling blue because of my failings as a Christian evangelist, or because of the widespread rejection of the Faith in our society, but for more mundane reasons. If anyone feels like sending me a chatty email at Maolsheachlann@gmail.com it would be appreciated.

9 comments:

  1. it's the same with most of my grandkids; you wonder where it's all leading in a spiritual sense...and, no,not just Dublin...most of ours are living around the world, are only half Irish, are born elsewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very worrying! And yet I have met young Catholics who are totally on fire for their faith.

      Delete
  2. Tried, but not working out on my phone, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried, but not working out on my phone, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  4. My niece just got engaged. I didn't realise how rare it was among her generation until my parents started looking for an engagement card. Of course most couples are already living together for heaven knows how long... Well these were different, he even asked her parents first, which doesn't happen in our family,or ,I imagine in many others. Australia is a bit different inasmuch as people are used to secularism, certainly scandals still rock the church but most people won't bother criticising- fault-finding it's not a big enough part of their lives to bother them. Make sure you give us a follow-up so we'll know if you're still blue. Did manage to see some photos of posters in your library anyway, that's the best I could manage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in Ireland the Catholic Church is still the big baddie-- in a way, it almost flatters to deceive. Thanks for trying to mail!! I appreciate it.

      Asking parents first is indeed very old-fashioned. It's quite nice to hear.

      Delete
  5. It is ironic to think of charismatics maintaining that the Catholic Church is a swindle. Given the fact that In the entire history of the Christian church they are practically without precedent.
    Have you ever seen the way they "worship".
    Speaking in tongues, prophesy, wailing and shouting. Of coarse I think it's abvious that these people know next to nothing about Catholic doctrine, theology, ecclesiology, and so on. The only groups that they would resemble is certain nostic churches ( at least in worship practices).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard very little of the discussion and it was good-humoured, I don't think I wanted to hear too close. I have mixed feelings about charismatics, the emphasis they put on the supernatural seems like a good thing, however I don't think that kind of euphoria has any sustainability.

      Delete
    2. I think there for the most part a disaster to be honest. Of all the worst caricatures of Christians the secular left typically like to fling around about Christianity, charismatic Christianity, whatever its strengths, mostly fits well into those caricatures.

      Delete