Sunday, February 19, 2017

No Alliance with Secularists or Atheists

That is what I would advocate.

Yes, political correctness is a menace. Yes, free speech is precious. Yes, the freedom to ask questions is precious. Yes, militant Islam is a danger and we should be allowed to discuss it without being called Islamaphobic.

But I'm worried to see how some religious conservatives are making common cause with atheists and secularists as a result of all this.

I'm not (as I've said before) talking about the sort of atheist who just happens to be an unbeliever, but who respects religion. I'm talking about bullish atheists and secularists, those who speak disrespectfully of religion and even attack it.

I feel much more affinity with Muslims, Sikhs, Mormons, Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses and any other variety of religious believer, and with every other person and faction who believes religion is of central importance to society, than I do with Bill Maher or Sam Harris or any other God-basher.

If someone is wrong about the most important question, how can that do anything but warp their other views? Everything rests on the First Commandment.

I don't even want to be friends with anyone who attacks religion. Yes, I have plenty of atheist friends, but they are all respectful towards my faith, and faith in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment